A grievance is a difference between the union and the employer on whether the collective agreement is being applied or interpreted correctly. If you believe the employer has acted improperly, you may be able to file a grievance. The union will “own” the grievance but must determine how or if to pursue the grievance based on the results of a full investigation and not on arbitrary or discriminatory factors.

Locals can advance grievances that may receive full legal support through FPSE’s Grievance and Arbitration Review Committee.


How Members Can File A Grievance

If you believe your rights under the collective agreement have been violated, talk to your local steward. They will assist you in determining whether you should file a grievance and how to initiate it.


How the Grievance Process Works

Step 1: Local stewards bring the issue to the attention of the employer. This might take the form of a discussion between the affected employee (the grievor), the union and the employer.

Step 2: If a discussion is not enough to resolve the difference, the grievance will be put in writing, stating what the issue is, how it relates to the collective agreement, and the proposed resolution.

Step 3: If the response at Step 2 does not remedy the problem, a written grievance will be sent to a higher level of management.